That if the government is so darned worried about the obesity epidemic in this country, maybe they should start with lowering the price of food that is good for you.
Just an observation.
I went to Wally world today to get some groceries for the next few days. I decided, that since today is my birthday, I would give myself a gift and get healthy meals.
Meals that will work with my resolution to get healthy and not die of obese organs.
So, I go to food network. This place is a virtual library of good for you recipes..at least so long as you steer clear of pretty much everything Paula Deen makes.
(Paula, I still love ya girl…I still want you to be my mama.)
So I look up diabetic meals. Diabetic is good for me…no sugar! And I find a plethora of meal ideas and even a monthly meal planner!!! Awesome!!!
So, I write down the ingredients I need and off to the wal-mart I go.
Holy moly!! I can’t believe how spendy things are!!!
Here is what I got:
- 1lb of ground turkey
- 6 oranges
- 2 cucumbers
- 5 little tomatoes..on the vine
- 1/4 a pound of baby swiss cheese
- 1/2 a pound of roasted turkey breast
- 1/2 a pound of roast beef
- a large bag of salad mix
- 1 lemon
- 1 bunch of bananas
- a bottle of sugar free coffee mate
- some healthy kind of margarine
- 2 packs of frozen pepper mix
- 1 bag of frozen okra (not the fried stuff LOL)
- 1 jar prego
- 1 pkg. healthy spaghetti noodles
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 pkg whole wheat pitas
- 1 small brick of coffee
- 1 gallon of milk
- 1 hot wheel (for Ricky…he was good)
- 1 small bottle of basalmic vinegar
That stuff right there, that was all just under $60.00.
Now, you might be saying that I did really well. But here is where my observation comes in. I usually feed my family for a week on $100.00.
This will feed us (combined with stuff I already had and didn’t need to buy) for two days.
I am just saying…it’s bad when you can feed a family of 5 a meal for $6.00 if you buy hamburger helper but a healthy meal of, oh, say….baked chicken with grilled asparagus, whole wheat rolls and a salad would cost considerably more.
I’m just sayin…make it easier to feed a family healthy foods…and maybe people would be healthier.
Now that I got that out of the way…I have been thinking of ways to cut the cost of healthy foods so I can keep on keepin on.
- coupons are my friends!!! Time to start buying the sunday paper again!
- buy things on sale and freeze what I can
- shop at Costco…yes, initially it’s a lot of money, but it’s bulk..so really I’d be saving!
- keep a garden. I fully plan to do this this spring…not sure how in my inky-dinky yard. But I’m going to. Maybe I’ll wear clogs..start a compost pile…and catch rain water too. *snort* Actually, gardening is a favorite of mine..so I can’t wait. Besides, there is nothing better tasting than a fresh out of the garden tomato…just nothing.
That is all I can think of right now. If anyone has any suggestions, I’d love to hear them!
So, you might have noticed that I mentioned that today is my birthday.
Yep…big ol’ 32 for me today.
We had a little “party” for me and Brian’s aunt Lori the other night and I got some really cool stuff…another gift card to Kit’s camera, some scratch tickets (won $4.00!! Wooo-hooo!) a dozen beautiful pink roses…I still sniff them every time I walk by the table. And two movie tickets!
All of the gifts are awesome…but I’m lovin me those movie tickets….Brian and I never go to the movies because I personally think the prices they charge are highway robbery…especially when I can wait a few months and buy the darn thing for less than the two tickets cost, never mind the popcorn (which I can’t have anymore…BUMMER!)
I haven’t decided yet which movie I want to see…I’m thinking that new one with Catherine Heigel in it…23 dresses I think it’s called? That one or Juno…looks like I’d like it, and it’d be torture for Brian…and that is always fun LOL!!!!
But I did see a movie preview for “the bucket list”…it has Morgan Freeman (whom I lurve) and Jack Nicholson in it…looks hilarious…might have to see that one!!!
Anyway…happy birthday to me….all 32 years and 800 pounds of me.
Which reminds me. The biggest loser is on tonight and I have decided that in honor of my new, healthier self, I will quit sitting on the couch, eating snacks while I watch that show and will, instead, walk on my treadmill while it is on.
Wish me luck that I don’t fall and break a hip…it is common for us old folks yanno.
Everybody have a happy tuesday!